Use Promote and Demote to keep certain URLs on top in the Search Results!
PicoSearch is a convenient, accurate, and unbiased search engine for finding the exact text and keywords in your website. PicoSearch will report its results in a natural priority ordering, but at times you may wish to help certain URLs to come out on top in your search results. With PicoSearch's new URL Promote and Demote abilities, you can adjust the ordering of results without invalidating the results, for example in the following situations:
Promotions and demotions are accumulated and managed in your account manager. They can also be added directly to your web pages using special HTML tags. For more details on this powerful new facility, see this FAQ: How can I keep certain URLs on top in the Search Results (using promote and demote).
- Your site keeps changing and growing, which gives slightly different search results each time you reindex. But users of your search engine tend to look at only the top 2 or 3 search returns, so you want to guarantee that the most important pages will always be seen first.
- You have nearly identical text on 2 different pages, but one page should always come out on top of the other for certain keywords.
- You have a "map" or "table of contents" page that you don't want to exclude from your index, but then again you don't want it to be the top result.
- You are including several guest sites in your index, and you want to ensure that your site is seen first whenever appropriate.
- You are providing a mini-portal service for several clients, and some URLs want to be on top when they are found.